March 15, 2011

Spring Break Fun

It's unfortunate that I did not have my camera with me today because, boy was it crazy! 
The morning was normal for the kiddos at least, it was the afternoon that was full of fun.  So, Grant's cousin and family are in town and today was our lucky day to visit with them amidst their busy schedule.  So we picked Alexis up from preschool between lunch and naptime and told her, "it's time to see your cousin."  She was so excited that she shouted to her classmates, "I get to see Leisl; she's my cousin!"  Alexis doesn't quite get that Leisl's brother is also her cousin along with Grant's other cousin's kids.  Grant's cousins were pretty much like siblings to him growing up.  We pick up Andrew from his daycare along the way and continue on to their hotel. 

Next stop: McDonald's, but not just any McDonald's.  We're going to the Micky D's that's shaped like a big Happy Meal down off of Montfort in Dallas.  So, those of us that haven't eaten (everyone except for Alexis and Andrew) eat their food and then the kiddos play and run (and YELL). 

Next stop: back to the hotel for some swimming.  Alexis and Leisl float around with their life jackets, jump off the side of the pool, ingest way too much nasty chlorinated water until we decide that if we don't get back to the room, they will never make it through dinner.  During the time they were being crazy, Andrew decided he was tired of teething and he needed to help the teeth along and banged his gums on the coffee table in the hotel room.  Alek got tired of listening to Andrew cry and decided he was going to swim too and forgot to mention when until half an hour after he got down there that Andrew had been screaming.  So I went back up to the room and Grant didn't answer the door, so I texted him to learn that Andrew gave up the crying and went to sleep on Grant (maybe that's because he didn't sleep much at all the night before - that's a whole different story).  So I head back down to the pool just as it's time for the girls to get out and get dry.
So we head back to the room, for all the kiddos to rinse off and chill out. Andrew woke up upon our entry to the room...so he had a power nap.  Bath time was funny because, well, you just can't make up what happens.  The girls are cleaning up together, hair getting washed and in the final stages as water is being poured on Leisl's head, Alexis announces, "I peed in that water."  We don't know whether she meant the pool, the bathwater or if she had actually peed at all and thought that the water dripping off of her swimsuit was her going potty because she had been good all day about going.  Nonetheless, the timing was priceless.  So the kids chill, though napping was apparently 100% out of the question as they jabbered.

Next stop Cheesecake Factory!  So by this point, I'm nervous that with so much excitement and no naps that dinner may turn into a meltdown, but even with the rather slow and inattentive service, we had a good dinner with kiddos that were well-behaved especially considering how tired they all were and how long we were in the booth.  Alexis earned her dessert after being told that she was not going to get any after disobedience during "chill out time".  Even Andrew did great even though I don't think he had ever spent so long in his high chair during one sitting.  Lucky for me, I guess, that he eats like a bottomless pit so his mouth was pretty occupied with eating and didn't have time to think about screaming.  I did walk him around the restaurant once but that was after I finished my dessert and we were waiting for the waitress to cash us out, so all in all it was a success.
They both crashed hard on the drive home; we don't even think Alexis was awake while Daddy brushed her teeth, but it was a great day and the last thing I remember Alexis saying is "When are they going to come to our house so we can play again?"

No comments:

Post a Comment