October 26, 2011

Pumpkins!

Andrew really doesn't care about pumpkins this year...to him they are just odd shaped balls for throwing, so our pumpkin/fall related activities this year were geared toward Alexis.

Saturday, the 22nd, we went to the Pumpkin Dive at the Flower Mound CAC.  For those that don't know, they throw a bunch of the smaller pumpkins in the pool (the indoor not outdoor one) and the kids jump in and get them.  The 3-5 yr age group has to have a parent in the pool with them, so Grant was that lucky parent while I took pictures.  Since Pumpkins float, they don't actually have to dive, they just pick one and then they get to go decorate it.  They had a few other activities, but she really wasn't interested in anything other than swimming, so that's all she did.  Andrew threw some bean bags at the board with holes cut out while Alexis decorated her pumpkin and enjoyed a tootsie pop while she swam.  I have to say, I kind of wish I had paid attention while Andrew was eating the Tootsie pop...he's the only person I've ever seen actually, lick it until he got to the Tootsie Roll center!  If only, I had counted the licks I would know the answer to the age-old question.  But Alas, I guess we're stuck believing the owl on the old commercial.  Besides, he also rubbed it on his forehead, hands and shirt and I had plenty to clean up.




Wednesday is my day with just Alexis and since it was suggested when Andrew started having trouble with allergies and breathing early October that we not take him to a pumpkin patch, I decided I would take Alexis.  So we got ice cream since she had her "1/2 birthday" coupon.  She got a sample and decided she wanted the first one she sampled...(we'll have to work on this with her) and enjoyed her first every cup of chocolate peanut butter ice cream.  then we ran an errand, ate lunch and went to the Flower Mound Pumpkin Patch.  Going on a weekday was great!  We were able to park close, not get trampled or have our feet run over by wagons, and really take a look at all the cut outs.  She did the small hay bale maze, but didn't want to go in the big one because "hay is scratchy".  The train wasn't running while we were there so that was a little bit of a bummer, but she enjoyed running through the pumpkin patch and playing in the "jail" and of course jumping in the bounce houses and bounce slides especially since there was no line and she was able to stay in as long as I could tolerate the sun beating down.  Oh and a note on the pictures below, she chose purple pants to wear with the halloween shirt.




Because she got her pumpkin at the Pumpkin Dive, we picked out one for Andrew and we got 2 of the itty bitty pumpkins as well.  We decided not to get a big pumpkin here for a couple of reasons. 
1. While I'm strong, I didn't feel like lifting one into a wagon, onto the scale or into the car without Grant. (I must say, it was funny watching Alexis try to lift one that she would have needed to double the length of her arms to fit around it.)
2. Let's face it, they're cheaper at the grocery store even if you can't get a monstrous one at the grocery store.

1 comment:

  1. My Andrew thinks pumpkins are soccer balls. We're hoping this may translate into some sort of athleticism.

    What a fun day with Alexis. I think the purple pants add to the Halloween-ness of the outfit.

    ReplyDelete