December 11, 2011

A little something EXTRA

Every Bride knows you must have Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed and Something Blue...well, I recently got the chance to be an Extra on a taping of TLC's new show Randy to the Rescue. (click the link for a brief introductory clip)

It was a fun experience and neat to do something different from the regular every day.  Thanks to Amy Y. for sending the info about the opportunity to Grant.  Thanks to Grant for suggesting I do it and getting the kids all ready for church solo.  And thanks to Julie M for participating with me.

There are definitely some things I would do a little differently if I could do it over again, mostly in regards to what I wore and carried with me on set, but I would definitely do it again if given the chance. 

Some funny things about the day:
The term "Business Casual" was used in telling us how to dress...let's just say that term was interpreted in many ways.  In my case and those that I was with, it was interpreted similarly to the dress code for offices in which we have worked.  In some people's cases it appeared to be about the same as a Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman (pre-shopping with Bridget), an ultra-trendy socialite or someone famous for being famous, and in one guy's case I think he was inspired by Michael Jackson in the late 80's.

If you think when they are pulling up a truck/bus etc with someone famous in it that it gets done in one take, well then you're crazy.

Even though everyone was supposed to be ready...one guy was shaving in between our practice cheering and our real cheering for the camera.  Like outside on the grass in the middle of our crowd using the compact mirror of the girl next to him shaving his face...he was trying to get that 5 o'clock shadow look I think but to me it just looked like a bad shave job. 

Those that were actresses/models trying to get their Big Break were pretty obvious to the rest of us and they were vocal about being "in the business" or "professionals".

Several of the Extras were filmed just as much as those that had a different color wristband...though we didn't stay as long.  The camera definitely got me while I was getting food from the Wedding Cake vendor...those ultra-skinny model people weren't near the cake!

There were fake brides and real brides and those of us that were just told to browse...the vendors didn't know the difference.  We overheard some people getting in to the whole experience and going along with the premise that they were a bride or with a bride.  Julie and I flat out told them that we were extras because they were still just as happy to show us their product (or give us cake).  So we got to register to win a honeymoon (or in our cases a 10 yr anniversary trip) as well.

Randy Fenoli was really fun and energetic and great to work with....okay, so I didn't work directly with him, but he spoke to us as a group several times, Julie and I got a high five from him as he was heading toward the hotel from the truck and he didn't mind people taking pictures even though there was a specific note in our instructions not to take pictures or request autographs.  Did you know that Randy also came from southern Illinois?

Anyway, it was a fun day and when I find out when the Dallas Episode is going to air, I'm going to set my DVR and see if amongst all the editing we make it on the show.  We weren't really supposed to be taking pictures, that's why I don't have more pictures of some of the more (ahem) interesting outfits I saw, but when everyone was taking pictures, I figured it wouldn't hurt if I took one of Randy too...too bad I found out later that if we had hung out an hour or so longer, we could have gotten him with some down time to get an individual shot, but oh well. 

oh and remember "we are all beautiful!"

1 comment:

  1. What an awesome day. And most importantly, what a great story you have now.

    ReplyDelete