December 8, 2011

Whirlwind week and cupcake

Last week we had several cute snippets of time, but now that the week is gone, I honestly can't even remember most of them, but here are the highlights:

Monday: We got a new roof.  Still have some additional work to do on the trim, gutters, fence, etc, but we don't have to worry every time it rains.  Nothing cute about it, just happy we got a new roof.

Tuesday: We went to the Highland Village Tree lighting.  It was our first year to do that and it was chilly, but not freezing.  Alexis enjoyed it and we ran into some friends.  We were in line to get face painting with our neighbors and then we ran into Margaret and Emery too.

She asked the lady "why does it tickle?"


giggles and glee

Alexis and Daddy next to the Tree
After the tree lighting, we found that our Elf on the Shelf had returned.  Alexis was very excited.  The morning after she was begging to stay in bed, but the minute I mentioned that she had to get out of bed to look for the Elf, those eyes popped open and the covers were off.  I have used it every morning that she has not wanted to get up since.

Wednesday: Alexis was supposed to wear blue.  I helped at cubbies and got to personally hear the things my daughter does - She got to pray and in doing so asked God why her brother got in trouble by Daddy for throwing his fork to Sadie at dinner.  The other kiddos had all sorts of things to say as well.  It was a fun and crazy time.



On Thursday I took this video of Andrew feeding Sadie Animal Cookie Legs.  Andrew had just eaten one thing after another and he saw me put the leftover cookie pieces into a container and when I walked in the other room, he went and got them and sat on the floor with them.  So rather than have him with an open container I put some of them in the snack trap cup so he could walk around.  I went to get a kleenex and started hearing giggling and when I came out, this is what he was doing.  I only caught the end the whole scene was even funnier.

Saturday: We put our tree up.  Our fake tree requires some fluffing each year and as Alexis watched me do the actual fluffing and she just kind of touched it and talked about it. I told her she was going to be an excellent tree fluffer to which she replied "Because I'm SMART, mommy.  I really am."  Too smart for her own good sometimes.  She's one heck of a negotiator.  When Grant got home, she smiled and just pointed sideways to the tree waiting for Daddy to see that we surprised him with a Santa Yoda tree topper.  Our tree decorating this year is...um not one for the magazines, but since we have a boy that's 1-1/2 and was running at the tree full speed after just the first layer was up, it is only decorated where Alexis could reach from the tall step ladder.  I'd like to add more, but I think Andrew will try to climb it or pull it down if it gets any "shinier" and I'd like to re-position some of what is on it, but I don't want Alexis to get upset that her handy work has been moved, so it's staying as is, bead garland clumps and all.




Before putting up the tree, we went to our former realtor's office to see Santa.  I thought this would be better than waiting in line at the mall or Bass Pro.  Andrew took an early nap that day and was not as mellow as I would have liked.  He had 4 ornaments yanked off their hooks from the tree in a flash.  While I was repairing the 1st 2, he dropped one of the others and it went crashing to the ground in a million pieces.  All while Alexis is asking me how to spell what she is writing down to ask Santa.  I held onto the squirmy little guy for the rest of the time in line very tightly while Alexis was remarkably good and then it was our turn.  Andrew, already mad from being held and not allowed to run, took one look at Santa and was screaming and crying.  Alexis sat sweetly as Santa tried to hold Andrew on his lap.  I thought Andrew was going to wiggle out of his shirt to keep Santa from holding onto him.  Then I took Andrew and we got a pic of Alexis with Santa and headed down the hall for juice and a small cupcake before heading on our way. And since I'm probably not going to get around to Christmas cards regardless of my want to: Here's our Santa picture.


Which brings us to the work cupcake. This past week, I made a chocolate orange breakfast cake which the kids have been lucky to eat.  Andrew's new word as of Monday is Cupcake.  He points to the cake container and says "Cupcake" which sounds a little more like "cucake" but it's unmistakeable.  It's clearer than many of his other words.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment