April 28, 2011

Well we had another first for us today...

Waking up multiple times during the night - nope
Having a little one wake us up before 6 a.m. and talk our ears off as if we had been up and at 'em already - nope

Both kiddos sick at the same time was our first for the day.

The screaming and crying started just before 1 a.m. the time I often went to bed before I had kids.  Andrew was up until around 2.  During this time (in no particular order), he had his temp taken 3 times, I spoke with the doc on call, gave him ibuprofin and a breathing treatment, changed a diaper, gave a bottle, stripped his clothes, rocked, cuddled, let him play "rolling dice" on my phone...anything to either acheive or maintain calm/quiet or get him back to sleep.

 1 hour later (estimating, I was pretty bleary-eyed), whimpering resumed.  Luckily it was easily conquered by replacing the missing pacifier and readjusting the lovey so he wasn't laying on it awkwardly.

sometime within the next hour same thing, I sent Grant to do the same.

A little after 5 a little voice at our doorway says "mommy, where are you?" I answer, "in bed...where you should be."  She climbs in bed with me (Grant was on the couch after getting Andrew back down) after a few minutes of lots of wiggling she tells me her forehead hurts and she's burning up.  So she gets her medicine and I tell her it will feel better if she's quiet and tries to sleep.  She informs me that she's not tired and it's time to get up.  I tell her that she can sleep in mommy's bed or she can go back to her bed.  She opts to go to her room if I turn on her light, so we compromised and I turned on the little light in her reading corner so that she could look at books quietly but if she decided to go to bed, it would be dark enough.  She looked at books and sang to herself from what I could hear on the monitor.
During this time, Andrew got fussy again, I believe Alexis woke him up.  Grant got Andrew calmed down but had to try to sleep on the floor with Andrew on top of him.  as sweet as it looked, it did not look comfortable at all.

Shortly after this, we gave up on the idea of sleep.

It's probably the only time that Grant has been or will ever be thankful for TAKS and not having his normal schedule at school.

By this time all pain relievers and fever reducers and their sugary flavor syrup has kicked in and the kiddos are not normal but not sleepy and are hungry and thirsty as usual.  The doc office calls while they are eating (since I called the on call in the middle of the night for Andrew) to let us know that they would like to see him, and I mention Alexis so they fit her in the same appointment.

For most of the day, Alexis was the most energetic sick child I've ever seen, but her fever stayed if she went over the time frame for the medicine and then the evening hit and she got a bit clingier and finally slowed down.  Andrew on the other hand was not his normal self all day and started to do better in the afternoon/evening but was clearly worn out.  After Andrew went to bed, Alexis had her highest fever of the day as she laid on the couch watching Rangers.  She went to bed and got up to interrupt me writing this 3 times.
The third time, I went and laid down with her and fell asleep rubbing her back.  For all I know, I fell asleep before she did.  I did eventually get up and leave sleeping Alexis...because Grant came and woke me up.

In the morning, Andrew was up and at 'em like normal.  Playing and giggling and crawling around under all the tables in the house.  Alexis, however, was still sleeping hard.  She didn't wake up until almost 7:30!  That might be a record for her.  She was still not up to snuff today, though I could tell she was on the mend as she employed her negotiating tactics to try to get what she wanted today.  I did stand firm on telling her that if she wasn't hungry for lunch then she wasn't in NEED of candy.  Not to say she didn't get ANY candy, it just didn't replace a lunch.  I'm pretty sure that she will wake up at 100%.

No comments:

Post a Comment