January 1, 2011

Happy New Year!

We started our NYE day with the kids waking up at regular time  but convincing them it was too early to get up (yay!)  Then on to Dunkin Donuts for a breakfast treat.  Alexis wanted "pumpkin donuts" ...Alexis is our "Little pumpkin" or "munchkin"; donut holes or in Dunkin speak munchkins are little donuts so therefore they were "pumpkin donuts" to Alexis.  It all made sense in her head though I think the people that overheard me telling Grant that she wanted pumpkin donuts thought I was crazy.

Then she got to help mommy cook.  We did white chocolate dipped pretzels in the morning.  I opened the bag of pretzels and told her not to touch anything yet.  She didn't know the bag was open and picked it up from the wrong end...luckly only 4 ended up on the floor and they were thrown away before she could pick them up and put them back on the counter.  Her jobs were to line the pretzels on the wax paper while I heated the chocolate and then to put sprinkles and green decorating gel on them after I had them dipped and back on the paper...the sprinkles job was taken away twice.  Once after I realized how quickly they poured and a second time when she licked her fingers after I put sprinkles in a bowl for her to pinch and drop on the "icing pencil things."

Then we started on the chocolate marshmallow cookies that are my absolute favorite, but they take quite a bit of time to roll so I don't make them often.  I thought she might be old enough to help with these.  I thought wrong.  She got to pour ingredients in the mixer like we usually do when I bake, but when it came time to actually roll the cookies..she was not so much help.  She flattened some dough but the actual rolling dough in a ball around a marshmallow didn't work so well with her little hands and mommy's alternative way of flattening it on a pan and then her folding the dough over the marshmallow just got a few flattened marshmallows that she said that she had to each because they didn't work.  I told her that she could go play with Andrew and just have a cookie when they were out of the oven.  She was happy enough with this.  All of this went fine until I discovered that my new baking pan (full of uncooked balls of chocolate dough covered marshmallows) did not fit in my oven.  Those of you that are close to me know that I realy really want new appliances especially a new oven even though mine works perfectly fine.  I miss my oven at the old house.  It was fabulous and always big enough for whatever I wanted to cook, but I digress.  Cookies transferred to smaller sheet cooked and tasted just as yummy as ever.  Thanks Mema for helping to roll them!

We relaxed for a while and then as it was nearing time to go I started the appetizer for our New Year's gathering.  I decided not to have Alexis help me with this one for time's sake, so with Andrew sleeping and Alexis getting her jammies on, I made biscuit pizza cups.  I may alter the simple recipe just for some additional flavors but overall very pleased with this easy appetizer.

Off to the New Year's party we went with kiddos in jammies.  Everyone there had olders children than ours, so there was built in babysitting which is always a plus (special thanks to CC, RT, JL and EO for taking care of Andrew and playing with Alexis we appreciate it).  The bonus of the in house babysitting is that since Alexis likes to "check on us" she can be reassured in a quick second and go back to having fun and Andrew just likes face to face attention.  Both kids stayed awake the whole time to ring in the new year and Alexis thought it was hilarious when she would say "Happy New Year" to ML and he would answer with "Happy insert other holiday or greeting here".

So Happy New Year, everyone!

New Years Day we went to McCutcheon's for a "come and go lunch" the kiddos ran around and had fun and eventually settled in with some cartoons while dressed as princesses.

No comments:

Post a Comment